Basic/Advanced Training
“Getting to Know Flickr (Basic)”

Jeff Utecht
Shanghai, China

Presentation Title
“Getting to Know Flickr (Basic)”

Bio
Jeff Utecht is an international educator currently working in Shanghai, China. Prior to Shanghai, Jeff worked in Saudi Arabia and Washington State. Jeff received a Teacher Leadership Project grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation in 2001 and his MS in Curriculum and Instruction with a focus on Technology in 2004. Jeff has presented at the Near East South Asia teacher’s conference and has been involved in staff development trainings for the past 6 years. Living and working within the international community has given Jeff first hand experience of the “flattening of our world.” From the wireless deserts of the Arabian Peninsula to the fast paced changes in mainland China, Jeff provides a global perspective on technology and education. At present, Jeff maintains several sites including saschinaonline.org, pudongnervecentral.com, and oversees the operation of teentek.com.

Description
Flickr.com is a social photo sharing site. Each user gets 20mb of free uploads a month, with a public and secure side to the site. Teachers can decide just how much privacy they need. One can password protect a site so only parents can view pictures, or share them with a world audience. An easy interface and plenty of options makes flickr.com a leading site in social photo sharing.

Presentation

On this day..

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

13 Responses to “Basic/Advanced Training
“Getting to Know Flickr (Basic)””

1. I am impressed and intrigued with the geo-tagging ability in Flickr.

WOW! The potential to take your kids around the world in pictures is great. My only worry is though: How will you know what pictures you will encounter when clicking on a specific spot in the world? Will they be appropriate for my students? Is there a safety feature? Can I just have my uploaded photos displayed for my students? Is it possible to embed the personal map into a blog?

Thanks for this great presentation.

2. Jeff Utecht says:

HHMMM, if you use the public map then you will not know what pictures may appear. You can use your own map. When you start a flickr account you are given a map that is just yours, but I think you can only post your pictures on it and not pictures from others. As far as I know there isn’t a safety feature. Not sure if you can embed it into a blog, if you can’t I’m sure the feature will be coming along soon.

Glad you enjoyed it!

3. Simon bourne says:

Thanks for that, I’m realtively new to flickr and your demonstartion was great, esp. with some ways that it could be used in the classroom.
    Loved the geo tagging, and batch uploading looks to be simple.
    Off to give it a go.

4. This is one of my favorite presentations. I have a flickr account and did not know all of the organization and tool options. This was very easy to follow and allowed me to pause, click a new tab into my account, and make changes. Great job!

5. Kate Logan says:

Can this presentation be posted in a format that doesn’t require streaming? I’d like to download it and then watch at my convience. My school Internet connection is robust enough to watch it streaming.

6. Kate Logan says:

Can this presentation be posted in a format that doesn’t require streaming? I’d like to download it and then watch at my convience. My school Internet connection isn’t robust enough to watch it streaming.

7. Enjoyed the Flickr presentation, especially since it was such an easy watching and easy listening production. Really interesting to see the GeoTagging as a new feature. The implications of tools like Google Earth, Frappr, Clustermaps, and Flickr are interesting for the education of people in geography. I am intrigued to see how far Flickr goes through Yahoo…since the trend is to jump at anything involved with Google.

8. Jeff Utecht says:

Kate,

I’m working on getting a .mov file. I’ll let you know when it’s made. :)

9. sharonb says:

I have had a Flickr account for a while but haven’t done anything with it. I’m off to add photos now.

10. Jeff Utecht says:

To download the flash file try this site:

You should be able to go File-Save As and save the flash file.

11. [...] Today I took some time to play with flicker. I have had an account for a while but never had time to explore the features from a teacher’s perspective. After watching the presentation on flickr by Jeff Utecht at the K12 Conference Online, I decided to try out the map features. Like Jeff I have worked as an overseas educator.  I have lived or travelled in many places; Ghana, Jordan, Korea, Thailand, England, Syria, Saudi Arabia, and Hawaii. I decided to start with my first overseas experience in Keta, Ghana.  I was a Peace Corps volunteer and this is where I met my husband. I uploaded the photos, made them public, linked them to the map and tried the describe them with a bit of a historical or scientific perspective.  Maybe someone will use them to show eroision (Keta was washing away) or pictures of an old slaving fort. It didn’t take to much time at all.  From scanning, uploading, organizing and now posting this blog took about 30 mins.  I must say most time was spent looking in the old photo ablum. It is a start.  I hope to get more up soon, it was fun. Listen to this podcast [...]

12. Anne Davis says:

I did a Flickr workshop yesterday for some GSU students. It was fun! After I did a thirty minute overview I took them to your Flickr presentation and showed them how they could stop it, go through the steps, pointed out the geotagging part you explained so well and mentioned other aspects. They were so excited and could not wait to get home to download the uploader utility for Flickr. They also pumped up about the geo-tagging. Then I was able to say hey take a look at this great K-12 online conference. You can learn this and this and this….. and you can do it at your own pace and when you want. They were amazed. You know, I am amazed too. Thanks for all you added to this conference. I still have your others to go through and enjoy. Great work, Jeff!

13. [...] K12 Online “Getting to Know Flickr (Basic)” by Brooke Schofield on April 26, 2012 http://k12onlineconference.org/?p=46 [...]