Christchurch, New Zealand
Bio Derek has a background as a teacher, principal and teacher educator, and is currently the eLearning Director for CORE Education in New Zealand. CORE is responsible for the national professional development programme for teachers using technology in schools and early childhood centres. He spends most of his time now working on a variety of projects relating to eLearning and the use of ICT in education, and has a particular interest in the emergence of virtual schooling around the world, and in the ways in which we can understand the value of what we are doing with ICT in the classroom.
Bio Page https://k12online07presenters.wikispaces.com/Derek_wenmoth
Presentation Title “Holding a Mirror to our Professional Practice”
DescriptionDerek will challenge us to hold a mirror to our professional practice and begin reflecting critically on what we are doing with technology in our classrooms, using examples from New Zealand to illustrate the use of reflective practice both at an individual level, and at a whole school and systemic level. He’ll also describe an online tool that’s been developed as a result of the New Zealand research which seeks to assist teachers in their self-research.
- website of CORE Education in New Zealand http://www.core-ed.net
- Derek’s personal blog where he muses on the use of ICT in education and the future of education in generalhttp://blog.core-ed.net/derek
- the Education Positioning System, an online tool designed to promote reflection about the integration of ICTs into classroom practice http://www.media3.co.nz/eps
- the blog site of the NZ e-fellows http://www.efellows.org.nz
- background information about the NZ e-fellows http://www.tki.org.nz/r/ict/efellows/index_e.html
- background information about the NZ ICT Professional Development Clusters http://www.tki.org.nz/r/ict/pedagogy/schools_new/index_e.php
- FAQ page relating to the ICT cluster programme in NZ http://www.minedu.govt.nz/index.cfm?layout=document&documentid=11143&data=l
- backgrounder on Donald Schon, considered to be one of the pioneers theorists about reflecting on action http://www.infed.org/thinkers/et-schon.htm
- dozens of links to blogs and wikis of NZ teachers who are reflecting on their practice http://nzedublogs.wikispaces.com/
- entry from Rachel’s Blog (NZ teacher) describing her approach to reflecting on action in a NZ ICT PD cluster http://rachelboyd.blogspot.com/2007/08/action-research-reflection-and-our-ict.html