Englishtown, New Jersey, USA
“Not Just for Kids: Using Social Software to Create Community among Teachers and Provide Sustained Professional Development”
Jeff Moore is the Manager for Technology for the Freehold Regional High School District, a district of six high schools serving nearly twelve thousand students in Monmouth County, New Jersey, USA. He has facilitated professional development in his district and at regional conferences on social software and the integration of technology into lesson planning. Jeff also hosted ‘One Big Head’, one of the earliest educational technology podcasts, from the driver’s seat of his Toyota Matrix as he commuted on the New Jersey Turnpike.
We assume that social software will be important to students as they wade into their post-secondary careers and education. In our discussions on how best to train students on the ethics and responsibilities of using social software, we sometimes forget that object lessons are often the best lessons. Schools can get a lot of mileage toward achieving organizational goals from social software tools, as well as provide an object lesson for students on the ethical and repsonsible use of such software.
In this presentation, Jeff Moore discusses his district’s efforts to offer sustained and individualized professional development to its staff. Speaking from the driver’s seat of his car, he describes:
- the use of local experts–innovative teachers who became a corps of Technology Facilitators
- the use of open source, social software tools in the Drupal (http://www.drupal.org/) content management system to create community among these experts and provide a resource for staff
- a new role for the educational technologist, that of software developer, arising from the development of a homegrown application to provide interactive professional development calendar, enrollment and tracking tools
Drupal’s Vote Up/Down Package
the Freehold Regional High School District
the FRHSD Technology Integration Clearinghouse
a Video Demonstration of the PD Tracker
Feel free to contact Jeff Moore at email@example.com.
On this day..
- K12Online12 Day 8 Presentations: 31 October 2012 - 2012
- Thinking Big About Learning - 2012
- Creating and Playing in Minecraft - 2012
- Creating Seven Habits of Highly Effective Professional Development Learning Experiences - 2012
- Beaucoup de Cool Student Projects - 2012
- The Making of a Keynote - 2010
- Day 10 Presentations: 31 October 2008 - 2008
- Leading the Change
There’s Something Going on Here You Need to Know About... - 2008
- Leading the Change
The Lie of Community: The True Nature of the Network - 2008
- Kicking it Up a Notch
Film School For Video Podcasters - 2008