Los Angeles, CA, USA
Sylvia Martinez is president of Generation YES, working to empower students in K-12 schools through digital technology. Sylvia has designed educational games, curriculum, and online experiences for teachers and students. Sylvia speaks and writes on subjects such as the use of technology, simulations and games to enhance educational opportunities and enable youth voice.
“Challenging Assumptions About Technology Professional Development”
Forty years after the invention of the personal computer, schools still find themselves begging teachers to introduce technology into classrooms. Conventional wisdom attributes the lack of effective technology use in classrooms to a shortage of, or poorly run professional development. At the same time, student-centered learning environments require teachers to develop more expertise not only in technology but also in pedagogy. Rather than continue to do more of the same, we should question assumptions and explore new models of teacher learning that address these issues.
On this day..
- K12ONLINE15 DAY 4: OCTOBER 22, 2015 - 2015
- Hot Teaching Spots - 2015
- Merry Makers - 2015
- Social Annotations: Collaborative Online Reading - 2015
- Teaser: Passion-Driven Learning - 2014
- K12Online14 Day Three: October 22, 2014 - 2014
- Augmenting Interest in Reading with Augmented Reality - 2014
- #Gamifi_ED Networked Intergenerational Learning - 2014
- Digital Story Telling Through App Smashing - 2014
- K12Online13 Day 2 Presentations: 22 October 2013 - 2013