Wind River, Wyoming, USA
“‘At-Risk’ Students in Our Virtual High School”
Katie Logan is the technology director for the Wyoming e Academy of Virtual Education. The school is Wyoming’s only online virtual high school, and focuses on serving ‘at-risk’ high school students as opposed to the top 15%-25%. The Academy is located in rural Wyoming on the Wind River Indian Reservation, and serves mainly Native American students from the reservation as well as some other students from other high schools across the state.
In a podcast, Katie discusses her school’s successes, failures, obstacles, and challenges in serving ‘at-risk’ students with an online high school in rural Wyoming. They are starting their third school year and have graduated five students and contributed to the graduation of at least one dozen other students. Their full-time student body is made up of minority, at-risk high school students from the Wind River Indian Reservation. They also serve part-time students from other high schools across the state. She describes their implementation using eCollege and class.com and how they deal with day to day high school issues. She also provides a transcript of the podcast, and any additional goodies she included in the presentation.
On this day..
- K12Online14 Day Nine: October 30, 2014 - 2014
- Moving From "Some Study I Used to Know" to Inquisitive Learning with Genius Hour & Passion Projects - 2014
- Trust and Transparency - 2014
- What Makes a Quality STEM Activity? - 2014
- Finding Your People - 2014
- Educator with a Maker Mindset - 2014
- K12Online13 Day 8 Presentations 30 October 2013 - 2013
- Energy 101: KidWind & the SHS Chevy Volt Project - 2013
- Bring Digital Badges To Your School or Classroom - 2013
- Coding for Kids - 2013