Snow Lake, Manitoba, Canada
Clarence has been a classroom teacher from grades 1 – 8 for the past 13 years. He has been involved with the creation of technology curriculum documents and wrote his master’s thesis regarding the evaluation of these documents. Clarence has won several awards, including being named a Manitoba Middle Years Outstanding Educator, as well as one of Canada’ highest teaching awards, the Prime Minister’s Award for Teaching for his integration of technology into daily classroom life.
What it means to be a literate person in our society is rapidly changing. We are passing through a sea change in the possibilities for online communication. Literacy is in a constant state of change. One thing this presentation will look at is how it has been constantly changing since the advent of the printing press. Blogs, wikis, podcasts, photo streams, and vlogs point the way to future types of communication; types that have been called ‘post – typographic.’ Yet we continue to favour print in classrooms over all other mediums. It is essential that we teach students new possibilities for accessing content using technologies such as RSS. We need to teach them to evaluate content for style and for truth in complex, multimedia electronic spaces. We also need to teach students about options they have for producing content. How do they learn to choose an effective medium in the midst of so many possibilities This presentation will be a Quicktime video (bascially an screencast illustrated with graphic examples and audio) showcasing the changes in literacy and showcasing the choices that students need to have for accessing, evaluating, and producing content.
On this day..
- K12ONLINE CONFERENCE Day 7: October 27, 2015 - 2015
- Tackkling SAMR - 2015
- Beyond Teaching and Learning: Leaving a Legacy - 2015
- Web Literacy Map Version 1.5: Read, Write, and Participate for a Better Web - 2015
- K12Online14 Day Six: October 27, 2014 - 2014
- Connected Learning Through Google Apps - 2014
- Programming in Primary - 2014
- Passion-Based Learning - 2014
- Preview: Week 2 of the K12Online Conference - 2012
- Student Voices Teaser: Kids Teaching Kids - 2012